Dad so beautifully explained how we all felt the day we dropped you off at the MTC. The following remarks are from a letter he sent out to our families.
Hello Family,
Thought you'd want to hear about yesterday. Obviously there is no other place you'd want your son to be, but I have to say it was one of the saddest days for our family! Madison couldn't miss a particular class, so she said her good-byes to Brandon in the morning (he drove her to school). Around noon, though, she called and asked if we could stop by to hug Brandon. It was sweet. We all go into Timberline Jr High, and Madison comes walking down the hall. She was sad, crying, as she hugged Brandon. It brought us all to tears...but nothing too bad. Frankly, it was wonderful seeing a little sister sad that her older brother is going to be gone for two years.
We then drove to the MTC, and everything was great. You all know I have been somewhat emotional since July anticipating Brandon's departure, but I felt fine at this time. We all did. Kristi, Ross, Brandon and I had a good drive to the MTC (now, earlier in the morning, watching the Preach My Gospel preparation videos with Brandon about did me in!). We round the corner towards the MTC, turned at the light, then were directed by an Elder to "go left"...it all begins to fall apart at this moment. We pulled in, got the bags out of the trunk, and are greeted by 3 Elders - all happy, of course - and ready to go. That's the problem, after a few questions, they are ready to go! So, I turn to my son - my #1 son! - and tell him I love him, that I am proud of him and that I know he will do great. I am crying, of course, and he is teary. He turns to Kristi, they do the same thing, and then to Ross. I wanted to die looking at Ross's expression. He was so sad. They hug, then the Elders whisk Brandon off. Just like that, it's done. A total of two minutes...max. We get back in our car, and what do I see? My 9 year old son in the back seat, completely broken, tears gushing because he will miss his older brother so much! It brings me to tears just re-thinking that sight! We pretty much cried the entire drive home - well, to about 500 East in American Fork, so not the entire drive home. However, the emotional feeling and loss stayed with Kristi and I for a long time yesterday...
Later in the afternoon, Kristi was really struggling. We went into Brandon's room - still dirty, btw, a tender mercy and reminder of our son! :) - and laid on his bed. Vicki Winterton called while we were laying there to let us know that she saw him! (Vicki leads the music during that first meeting with all the new missionaries. What a great calling!) Anyway, as she enters the room, she is looking for Brandon (400+ new missionaries, so not easy), and lo and behold she sees him! She said he looked happy...which is all I wanted to hear. She watched him during the hymns the whole time and he was belting out the songs (a miracle if there ever was one!). He was happy! We laid there and cried some more (crap, I'm at work and I'm crying again just writing this dumb email!).
There is joy in the experience at the MTC. When you pull away from the curb and exit around the back of the MTC, the sidewalk is filled with hundreds of Elders. They are all smiling (don't you love happy missionaries?) and waving to you as you drive out. Yes, I felt like screaming at them to "wipe those smiles off your face!" (just kidding), but in truth, it's awesome. Missionaries are the best. The MTC is one of the great places on this earth, and despite the tears, we wouldn't want our son anywhere else!
Thank you all for your loving support of Brandon. You have no idea how much we appreciate it.
David
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment